Monday, April 22, 2013

Computer Lab- Day 2

Now that you've begun the actual writing for this paper, begin to reflect:

Do I clearly introduce the topic in a vivid, engaging way before diving into my thesis statement? Your first sentence should NOT mention the novel or even the author, Elie Wiesel.
Is my background information relevant?
Is the introductory paragraph engaging and thought-provoking?
Does everything flow the way I want it to?

Are my body paragraphs relating to my thesis?
Am I introducing the quotes? If not, remind yourself of the patterns we discussed by clicking here.
Am I using the quotes to develop an argument-- to "prove" my point--or am I just retelling the story or providing basic facts?
******In my explanations of my evidence, do I make sure I am showing how it proves my point, rather than just stating that it does prove my point? Here's an example of a POORLY DEVELOPED EXPLANATION:  (pretend I just offered a legitimate quote on the Jews showing the effects of their dehumanization)This instance shows that the Jews were dehumanized.
If you write something along those lines after you present your evidence, expect me to write in the margins of your paper: HOW?
Keep asking yourself: Am I am explaining how this relates to my argument, or am I just stating that it simply does relate to my thesis? There is a big difference!

When it's all said and done, a well-developed paper is around 2.5-3.5 pages. If you're below that, it's probably an indication of undeveloped body paragraphs, where you don't explain how your evidence relates to the your argument.

Please continue your solid work ethic from yesterday, and remember the final essay is due on Tuesday, April 30 (a week from today).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr.B! Did you know that you can write comments on your blog posts? It's pretty cool!
    ~Anonymous~

    ReplyDelete